Ben and I were both exhausted, but we couldn't really nap for fear of missing a stop and a train change. Ben wasn't feeling well, so I volunteered to read and stay awake to make sure we didn't miss any stops as we made our way across the South of France and onto Lourdes.
We had some interesting adventures, including meeting a 20 year-old Dutch kid hitchhiking his way around the Mediterranean, and an incredibly generous and kind French 20-something guy who not only let us borrow his cell phone, but actually helped us call our hotel to make sure we could check in when we arrived at o'dark-thirty! (His dad was a Brit, so he spoke English and French; thank goodness for the kindness of strangers--especially ones who speak multiple languages!)
Several hours and several train transfers (and a decent nap for Ben), we arrived in the little village of Lourdes. I was practically bouncing with excitement--Lourdes has been a place I've been interesting in visiting FOREVER!! My grandparents go to Our Lady of Lourdes church, my mom and her siblings went to Our Lady of Lourdes school, and so many miracles have happened there, I just always thought it would be such an interesting place to visit. (For more information on what Lourdes is and why it's an amazing place, click HERE.)
A very nice woman at the train station gave us directions and a map, and we headed off to find our hotel. Since it was the middle of the night, we walked right down the middle of the street, and I quickly fell in love with this beautiful little town. Before long, we stumbled upon this:
Notre Dame, a beautiful church in the center of town, was incredible--the lights and the peacefulness of the night were like magic; of course we had to stop for a photo op.
We made our way to the hotel and, after some mangled French, we managed to get checked in, made our acquaintance with the broken elevator (boo!), hiked up to our room and quickly crashed.
The next morning was absolutely gorgeous! Despite the late hour of our arrival, we decided to get up early to head over to the Grotto to try and experience the baths (they are open very limited hours). We awoke to a phenomenal view of the fort outside our window, took in the view and the sunshine, and quickly got ready to head out.
Walking down the streets of tiny European towns early in the morning is an experience not to be missed. If you've seen the Disney cartoon "Beauty and the Beast," the opening scene is not that far off (minus the singing...well...sometimes minus the singing)--when the town is waking up, it's magical.
Rounding the corner into the Grotto, I could hardly believe the incredible basilica before us (Ben, on the other hand, said, "Whoa!! Is that a sequoia?" I said, "ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Who cares about the trees?!?! That is one of the most beautiful, impressive churches I've ever seen!!" Priorities...).
We wandered slowly through the grounds, following the signs to the Grotto. The little chapel in the cove is so peaceful and beautiful, and it was SO amazing to be standing just a few feet from where Mary appeared to St. Bernadette! We just sat and took in the experience for a few minutes, then went to find the baths...
2 comments:
You take some fantastic pictures babe.!
How cool--it must have been a very special experience for you to be there! I'm glad you got to go.
Post a Comment