Friday, November 2, 2012

Yep, DEFINITELY Crazy.

So, here's the update for a few people who have asked:

As of today, November 2nd, I have officially applied to the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs at the University of Southern Maine and Virginia Commonwealth University.

Applications are in progress for Binghamton University (in Upstate New York) and Duke University (in North Carolina).

I will likely also apply to Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. (but that one isn't due for a few months, so it's much lower on my radar).  I'm looking for at least one more school to apply to (I feel like six-ish gives me a decent chance at getting in somewhere).

So far, so good with my classes.  I am ROCKING Human Development.  My professor said about my latest discussion post, "Another graduate-school level discussion post, Jennifer.  Save it for a research paper start.  It is that good."  :)  Haha, this made me laugh super hard, seeing as how I do have a masters degree and I certainly should be able to write a high level discussion post for a 200-level class.  :)  But a nice compliment and a nice assessment of my skills from my professor.  Glad to know I can still write like a grad student, even though I hang around with 12 year olds all day.

Still clinging to that "A" in Stats, although I will admit it is a harder fought battle for sure.  Not so sure I will make it out with an "A," but so far I have about a 93-94% in the class, so all is not lost yet.

Handling working full-time and half-time school would be A LOT easier if I didn't have all these applications on top of it, but I'm getting through it.  I need an academic reference for a few of these programs, and I was really stressing out about finding a professor to write one (since my professors now probably won't actually even meet me, and my Gonzaga professors haven't known or worked with me for quite awhile now).  In a moment of bravery, on Halloween evening I wrote a few old professors a "Hey, I don't know if you remember me, but on the off-chance you do, will you be a reference for me?" email.  A former Biology professor (who I took three classes from) wrote me back first thing the next morning and said, "Sure I remember you!" and told me if I send him the criteria they're looking for he will happily tailor a letter for me to any programs I want.  SO AWESOME!!!!!!  And a HUGE relief.  So at least my academic reference is squared away now for any programs I apply to, and it is a bonus that he is the current chair of the biology department at Gonzaga, so that looks pretty great, too.  YAY!  So things are going well on that front at least.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.  I pretty much spend all my time either working or studying, so I hope you all are doing amazing things so I can live vicariously through you until Christmastime.  If you've got a few prayers to spare, I would REALLY appreciate them.  Please pray that I make it through these next few weeks with my classes, and please pray that I get into (at least) one of these programs.  And you are all in my prayers, too!




2 comments:

Colette said...

You're in my prayers girl!! Good luck you will get in some where and it will be perfect for you and your growth. Proud of you!!

Kathy said...

So proud of you Jen, keep up the hard work, have some fun along the way! Love you, Mom