Saturday, September 10, 2011

Soul Food.

I am never happier than when I'm on the back of a horse.

It's true, I am a small town, country girl to the core. There is no place I'd rather be than in the mountains, sleeping under stars so numerous it's impossible to pick out the constellations, enjoying the sunshine and an open fire, breathing the mountain air and the freshness of the rivers and streams.

So, why do I live in Portland again?

I've been asking myself that very question more and more lately, which means my friend Tana's offer to join her and her mom on their annual horse trip was a PERFECT late summer vacation, especially after a tough couple of weeks.

Tana's mom, Mary, has a couple horses, and for years they've ended the summer with a multi-day, girls only, horse/camping trip. A few years ago I went to visit Tana in the summer and spent an afternoon riding with her mom, so she knows I'm a good rider, I know what I'm doing, and I'm not afraid. Every time I have seen her since she has invited me to come to Wenatchee to ride with her...and if it weren't such a trek, I'd be there all the time.

Tana had a baby in July, which means that she wasn't really up for hours and hours in the saddle this year; however, her mom still wanted to go on the trip, so they started asking me if I wanted to go instead. I did, of course, but with everything happening over the last couple months, it was a crazy time and I didn't know if I could do it. As the time drew closer, it ended up working out really well, so I agreed to go.

I drove up to Mukilteo, WA, Tana and Devin's new home, after work on a Thursday. The plan was to get up early and head over the mountain to the campsite since Tana decided she could handle camping with baby Sven for a couple nights, just not riding. When I got there, I went to park in their parking lot and suddenly my car wouldn't go into reverse or park...because apparently car issues are my destiny. :/ So I was a little stressed out, but we figured it out.

The next morning, we got off to a late start, between the baby and Allee and dropping my car off at the shop and everything else, but eventually we made it to the campsite on the east side of the Cascade mountains. It was a gorgeous area, and the hot sun was wonderful. We got the tents set up and the horses fed and settled, and we got ready for dinner. Their friends, Renee and Annie (another mother/daughter pair), joined us with their horses--they apparently go with them every year, and they were amazing women--they were very fun and laid-back, and it was a blast.

Tana had "warned" me that the food at horse camp is always amazing, and she didn't lie--every meal was totally delicious. Tana's mom brought a huge tent with cots (I know, right?!?), and it was super comfortable, especially since Allee slept with me as my hot water bottle. :)

We spent the whole next day riding while Tana and baby Sven hung out in camp together. It was an awesome ride. The mountains were GORGEOUS, and it was neither too easy nor too difficult a trail. I rode Mary's horse, Dusty, and despite being the oldest horse on the ride (24 years old), he was a champ. It was hot and dirty and PERFECT. Being with these amazing women and our horses out in the backcountry on such a fabulous summer day was just what the doctor ordered.

We got back to camp and Tana's husband, Devin, had driven over to join us. They let him break the girls only rule, since it was almost his birthday and the baby was with us. :) We cooked up another awesome dinner, settled the horses in, and I spent the rest of the evening snuggling their sleeping baby, chatting and enjoying the campfire.

The next day we had an awesome breakfast, then packed up and headed out. The plan had been to ride more that day, but due to a flat tire on one of the horse trailers and my car being in the shop, plans had to change and I had to go back with Tana and Dev to retrieve my car.

We made it back in time to shower, go to church, and go out to dinner. I picked up my car, spent some time at my aunt and uncle's house, then headed back to Portland. It was lovely.

Tana, Mary, Renee, and Annie told me that Allee and I are officially "adopted," and we can come on the horse trip anytime for now on.

I think I might have to take them up on that. A weekend of babies, horses, and sleeping under the stars will always be good for my soul.

1 comment:

Gilbrides said...

Sounds like such a FABULOUS weekend! So glad you were able to get out of town and relax in nature for a few days!