Friends, I have many posts forthcoming, with news to share, babies to show, and stories to tell. But tonight I just have a request.
I've been sitting here, way past my bedtime, trying to figure out how you're supposed to go to sleep when your friend is dying. Because that's the situation many dear friends and I are facing.
 |
| Mike and his beloved dachshund, Luigi |
My dear friend Mike Harry has cancer. He's had cancer on and off for a long time--over a decade--and suddenly, somehow it feels like it snuck up on us. I think it hit us all like a ton of bricks last weekend when we got the word from his mom that chemo just isn't working anymore and the doctors have done all they can do. Mike is one of the best people I know. Despite EVERYTHING, he always has a smile on his face. He's been through brain tumors (yes, with an S--more than one), esophageal cancer, cancer cells around his heart and in his lymph nodes, and much, much more, and yet he never fails to try to brighten the day of everyone he encounters. The first time I met Mike, I was interviewing him for a job, and I thought to myself, either this guy is faking it, or he is extraordinary. And the truth is, he is extraordinary. He really is something special--I have never met anyone else like him. Nearly everyone who knows him would tell you of his bone-crushing hugs--the patented Mike Harry move. I have experienced many of these myself. Whenever you greeted Mike, he would immediately get a huge grin on his face and a twinkle in his eye and proceed to lift you off the ground, pop every vertebrae in your back, and put you down with a laugh. I tell you what, after a Mike Harry hug, you KNOW you are loved. No doubt about it.
My whole family got to experience Mike once, around Thanksgiving, when he was going through a really tough time. And even though he was struggling that weekend, my family loved him so much they still ask me about him from time to time. I wish I had better news.
Mike's been through so much, but he's still so full of faith and hope and optimism. I wish you all knew him and you could see it. It is beautiful. And for those of us who love him, it is also heartbreaking. Devastating. He is 30 years old. People are not supposed to have to deal with stuff like this when they are just 30 years old. He's been married for 2 1/2 years, and his wife is remarkable. When they refer to someone as a rock, Rhiannon is it.
 |
| Mike and Rhiannon Harry |
So my request tonight is simple. Please storm the heavens for this truly incredible man and his amazing wife. Obviously we are all begging God for a miracle where science has failed, but barring that, please pray for strength and comfort and peace and hope and HEALING for this one-in-a-billion guy. Pray that he will not suffer or be in pain. Mike knows--we all know--whatever happens, the BEST is yet to come. Please pray for Mike.
Thanks, friends. I love you.
1 comment:
Oh, Jen. How heartbreaking. He and his beautiful wife will be in my prayers. You too. Lots of love to you.
Post a Comment