Friday, August 29, 2008

The Things I Get Myself Into.

So, apparently no one should ever tell me they want me to catch up on my posting, because then you get like ten in a row.  Such is life.  

I'm heading to Spokane this weekend for another wedding--I swear that's all I do with my weekends is go to weddings!!  But it should be fun.  Erik can't come to this one (let's just say he's, understandably, a little "weddinged-out"), so I'm headed there on my own.  Or so I thought...

Last night I was working at this event, and this guy, Chris, who apparently I'm supposed to know from Gonzaga (because he definitely knows me, first AND last name, and I had to ask someone else just to get "Chris"), was talking to us and said, "I think I might go up to Spokane this weekend."  

So my polite, making-conversation response was, "Me, too!"

So here's the rest of the conversation:

C:  Really?  (Gleam in his eye.)
Me:  Yep.  I have to go to a wedding on Saturday.
C:  (Gleam gets bigger.)  Do you need some gas money?
Me:  Umm...maybe?
C:  What time are you planning on leaving?
Me:  Ummm... (stalling) I don't really have a definite plan.  (Lies, all lies, I tell you!  I was planning to leave at noon, but my budget was interested in finding someone to split the exorbitant gas costs...even though I barely know this guy....so I thought I'd hedge a little.)
C:  Really?
Me:  Mmhmm.
C:  Well...hmmm...I could get off early...and...I live on the Eastside, so it would be on your way, and hmmm...half hour to get ready...could you leave at 5?  Or is that too late?
Me:  Ummmm...I guess so.
C:  Are you sure?  Because I don't want to impose (did I mention he's kneeling on the ground at this point, practically begging?).
Me:  No, that's fine.
C:  Sweet!  Let me give you my address.  When were you going to come back?
Me:  Sunday.
C:  Perfect!

Then we worked out the details.  Then I panicked and grabbed Erik, who seemed to know this guy more than I do, and pulled him aside and asked him if I had just signed up for a 6 hour drive with some murderer or rapist or other shady character, or if I would be okay.  

He told me he's a good guy and I'll be fine.

Then he told me to keep my cell phone on me and make lots of phone calls letting people know where we were along the way.

This ought to be an adventure.  :)

No comments: