I was helping with a middle school after-school program a few weeks ago for one of my co-workers, and she had me make pencil people with her kiddos. She said she did them this summer with kids as young as 4-5, and I thought they were super cute, so I should share the idea with you.
Supplies:
Embroidery floss in different colors (or yarn)
Fun pencils
Pencil grips in different colors
Craft wire in different colors
Beads in different colors
Wooden ball/bead for head (must have a hole through it)
Markers
Directions:
1. Hair: cut as much embroidery floss in whatever color(s) you're going to want for hair. Basically, you want to make a bunch of it, so you can fold it back and forth in half or just gather it together or whatever.
2. Cut a piece of craft wire about a foot-ish long. Find the center of the wire (or close to it) and fold it over the center of your hair bundle. Twist it a couple times to secure it.
3. Put both ends of the wire together and thread them through the bead. Now the hair is on top of the head.
4. This is the trickiest part: Taking each wire end, thread it through the center of the soft pencil grip, and poke it through about halfway down, one on each side. These will hold the head onto the body and will become the arms.
5. Put a few beads on each wire. When the "arms" are long enough, you can twist it around to secure the beads and clip the end off.
6. Slide the whole contraption onto the eraser end of the pencil.
7. Use the markers to draw the face, add any finishing touches, and voila! Pencil person. :)
You can be as creative as you want with these. :) Have fun!
The kids decided to try to make Disney characters--one of the boys made this outstanding version of Ariel. :)
2 comments:
Looks like something fun for the Halloween party I am in charge of in McKay's Kindergarten class. About how long does it take?
I could whip one out in about ten-ish minutes--obviously for kiddos it takes a bit longer, but I'm also a perfectionist, so that makes up for it a little. If you wanted to pre-cut stuff it would also take less time. I would say for little ones they'd be safe with probably 20-30 minutes or so, depending on how many people you had helping. I made them with 6th, 7th, and 8th graders for about 40-45 minutes, and they each made 2-3, I think, in that amount of time. Ummm...so I guess that's not a very straight answer, but there you go. You could totally make them Halloween-ish and they would be so cute! :)
Post a Comment