Monday, March 12, 2012

Advice to Teenage Girls, Part 2

Advice to Teenage Girls from Women Who Have Been There

Be outgoing. Participate in events at school and church. Smile--it lifts your spirits and others' around you. Be active in group sports or individual spots. Wear sunblock, your skin will love you when you are 50.
~Angela (30-something)

Be modest. Take care of yourself and dress like you're worth a million bucks, because you are. Believe in yourself. You are important and no one can do what you can do in our world. Take pride in that.
~Katie (30-something)

DREAM BIGGER!!!!
~Alison (30-something)

I would tell my teenage self to just be me and do what makes me happy. Those girls that you are trying to press and be friends with, you will only be seeing them at reunions, and they are never as great as you thought they were 10 years before! You will still be in contact with the people who were your real friends.
~Jennifer (30-something)

I would tell my teen self: Know that you are valuable and important in this world. You deserve and should expect respect.
~Peggy (50-something)

You are beautiful. There are lots of boys who would like to talk to you. No, really, YOU! That girl who thinks this doesn't apply to you, you are who I am talking about. I had no clue I was attractive, thought I was too tall and sporty, too strong, my hair was too curly. I didn't think I was ughly, I just had no idea that I was beautiful. And all those boys, they were just too nervous to say hi because I was so damn hot and they didn't think they were good enough fo rme! Also, ignoring someone does not mean you are flirting with them. It's really okay to flash that beautiful smile and be friendly and actually get to know new people. Having one conversation doesn't MEAN anything is goin to happen, but it is still fun and I promise you--You will make their day!
~Jaime (30-something)

Waiting until you are married is the only way to give your whole self to someone. Every person you are with, you give them a little bit of yourself.
~Sarah (30-something)

Girls are mean--don't try to fit in, be yourself and don't apologize for it.
~Rachel (20-something)

No matter what, there is good and there is bad in every situation. You want to talk about winning the lottery? Guess what, you have to pay taxes and that's really expensive. So you can focus on the taxes or you can focus on winning the lottery, and you have to decide which side you look at. Every situation has a good side and a bad side, and it's up to you how you choose to look at it. You can laways find good in any situation, but the reverse is also true. If you're always focused on the negative, it doesn't matter the situation, you will always be unhappy.
~April (early 30s)

Don't be afraid to go out and do things by yourself. If you want to do something, don't wait until you can convince one of your friends to go with you! just go see that cool new movie/take that class/volunteer for that organization. Who knows, you might meet new people that you would then have something in common with!
~Kayleigh (20-something)

Don't worry so much about what other people think.
~Marian (60-something)

Imagine a circle and yourself in the ring of the circle with all others, holding hands in the game of life--you are not, nor do you want to be, in the center!
~Debbie (50-something)

My years as a teen in our schools was not a happy time for me, but looking back I really wished that someone would have told me...You will be hurt. You will be disappointed. Things will happen that are unfair. And it's all out of our control except how we handle it. Even if it's unbearable inside, keep a smile on your face and know that you are a beautiful daughter of our heavenly father, have confidence in yourself that regardless of what others might think. Believe in yourself. Believe that with every negative aspect of your life you can take control by adding positivity and beauty. We have THAT power. It's our super power.
~Katie (early 30s)

The teenage years are so hard! Find your true friends and don't give up on your dreams. Girls can do anything! But girls are so mean to each other, too. Don't be judgmental, you don't know what is going on in other people's homes and families.
~Andrea (20-something)

If you are "popular" in high school...nobody cares about that after you graduate. Really. Nobody cares. Nobody. Be kind. If for no other reason, you're going to attend your 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th and beyond high school reunions and you don't want to feel bad about the way you treated people.
~Ann (50-something)

Spend more time honoring and celebrating family time.
Sarah (20-something)

Don't sweat the small stuff, and listen to your parents, they are probably right.
Lauren (20-something)

"Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." God blessed girls with their own personality, find your talents, and use them! God answers many prayers through other people. Use your talents to bless those around you.
~Andrea (20-something)

I would tell my teenage self that patience is a virtue and the butterfly will emerge from teh cocoon before you realize it. Also, not to place your self-worth on if a boy is talking to you or not, but from the love you receive from family and friends. That is where the true worth comes into play. Life isn't simple or easy, it's tricky and complicated...how amazing is that? Surroud yourself by those you trust and love, and the experience will be wonderful.
(And listen to your parents.)
~Belinda (early 30s)

If I could go back and tell my teenage self something, it would be, "Don't waste your time with those losers. You'll get your fair share of good guys and bad guys. Always be open to God's will for you, and for God's sake, nobody wants to see your ass crack!"
~Ciera (20 something)

Don't be in such a hurry to "grow up." Be an adult, be independent, but GO TO COLLEGE and enjoy the college experience. I didn't do that and now I regret it. One can always go back to school, but that time in your life is the only time one can truly fully experience "college" (roommates, college games, study sessions with all your single friends), etc. I don't regret getting married and having babies early, but I wish I would have also seen the value in going away to school and doing the roommate/college thing, too. I feel I missed out on something special there.
~Hope (30-something)

There will always be someone smarter than you, thinner than you, faster than you. Be humble. You will always be smarter than someone, thinner than someone, faster than someone. Be kind.
~Erika (30-something)

-----------------------------------------------------------

It was such a privilege and a blessing to hear from all these wise, insightful, strong, beautiful women, and to be able to share their words with this group of girls. Please feel free to share any of these gems of inspiration with anyone who might be able to benefit from them...even if you are just young at heart, I think these are good pieces of wisdom for all of us to hear.

No comments: