A few months ago I was asked to be on the team to help lead the Young Adult Retreat on Superbowl weekend (don't worry, it was over before the game). I LOVE retreat ministry, so OF COURSE I said yes. Erik was asked, too, but he couldn't do it, which turned out to be good because he flew up to Spokane to see his grandma that weekend (please keep her in your prayers!!). My friends Jill and Deborah were both on team, and they are awesome women. Actually, our whole team was awesome! And as far as retreats go, it was VERY low-maintenance in terms of how much we had to meet, etc., so that was nice.The retreat was in Molalla (read: middle of NOWHERE--not even cell phone reception!), and the retreat center was AWESOME!! It was totally a lodge setting, and we definitely felt like we were off in the woods. In fact, it was LITERALLY over the river and through the woods. The sign above was posted next to the front door. It was definitely peaceful, with the river just a few dozen yards away and lots of space to walk and think and pray, etc. I was SO busy the whole time I didn't get much time to think and pray myself, but I suppose it wasn't a retreat for me. I did get to do lots of awesome ministry, so that was totally worth it.
This is the lodge--pretty sweet, huh? :) I gave a talk on learning to wait (if you want to know more, ask me!), and our retreat's theme was the book "If You Want to Walk on Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat" by John Ortberg. It's an AMAZING book. I've read it twice now, and I have it all underlined and starred and notes written all over in it. I highly recommend it. (It's not a Catholic book, in case anyone's wondering--just a spiritual book in general, based on the story of Peter walking on water. It's fantastic.) Read it if you get the chance. Anyway, I think my talk went pretty well, and even though I felt like my small group was a struggle, I think some awesome things happened for the people there, and it will be cool to watch it play out as time goes on. :)
This is the lodge--pretty sweet, huh? :) I gave a talk on learning to wait (if you want to know more, ask me!), and our retreat's theme was the book "If You Want to Walk on Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat" by John Ortberg. It's an AMAZING book. I've read it twice now, and I have it all underlined and starred and notes written all over in it. I highly recommend it. (It's not a Catholic book, in case anyone's wondering--just a spiritual book in general, based on the story of Peter walking on water. It's fantastic.) Read it if you get the chance. Anyway, I think my talk went pretty well, and even though I felt like my small group was a struggle, I think some awesome things happened for the people there, and it will be cool to watch it play out as time goes on. :)I was EXHAUSTED by the time it was finished, but there were some cool things that happened, not the least of which started to play out a little later between my friends, Deborah and Brent, who met that weekend... :D We finished out the weekend by watching the Superbowl at Brent's (even though I think Deborah and I both took some little powernaps during the actual game. Hey--working a retreat is TIRING!!).
One of the best parts, for me, was doing music with Deborah! LOVE THIS GIRL!!! We have a secret band (shhh...don't tell!), and we love to sing together. And not to toot my own horn, but we sound pretty good. :) It's fun, and we play around with harmonies and stuff. Especially now that we don't work together and see each other as much, it was an awesome way to minister together. :) And isn't she beautiful? Love her! :)
One of the best parts, for me, was doing music with Deborah! LOVE THIS GIRL!!! We have a secret band (shhh...don't tell!), and we love to sing together. And not to toot my own horn, but we sound pretty good. :) It's fun, and we play around with harmonies and stuff. Especially now that we don't work together and see each other as much, it was an awesome way to minister together. :) And isn't she beautiful? Love her! :)(P.S. See my jacket? It's the liner to the coat Erik bought me a few weeks ago out of the blue, just because I needed a new coat! I LOVE IT!! It's so cute, and I totally dig the blue and brown. :) He's awesome.)
Anyway, the retreat went great, and apparently my 8 words for the month of February are, "Thy Love Be Done" and "Peace Be With You." I'm trying to continually keep those in mind. :) So far, so good.
1 comment:
I LOVE MOLLALLA!! That's where our summer/fall RA retreat always was, I love it there. :)
Post a Comment