Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yay for Babies!!

Part of my job involves putting on retreats for 8th graders about Respect for Life, Sanctity of Life, Human Dignity, etc.  We spend a lot of time talking about physician-assisted suicide (legal in Oregon and Washington now--*sigh*), abortion, fetal development, pornography, abstinence and chastity, etc.  I decided to put my money where my mouth is (so to speak...as there was actually no money involved), and after church a few weeks ago Erik and I hopped on the Max (light rail) and headed down to Pioneer Courthouse Square for the big Pro-Life Rally.

I've never been to anything like that; it was a pretty cool experience.  It was estimated that there were over 7,000 people there, with lots of cool speakers, music, etc.  There were people from all different races, religions, ages, backgrounds, etc.  (Portland IS a pretty diverse place, after all--way more so than the rest of Oregon.)  They did a really good job with it.  There wasn't anything new, really, as this is what I talk about on a regular basis, but it was cool to see so many people gathered peacefully to listen and support a cause they believe in.  

There were, of course, the requisite protesters.  There were maybe a hundred of them there, tops, and they were screaming and shouting the whole time.  Not sure exactly what that accomplishes, other than being disruptive and rude, but we know that a movement based around anger can never be successful.  Someone ought to tell them that.

Overall, it was a super cool experience, and I'm glad I went.  :)  Especially because now I know how to tell the kids about things like that.  :)

No comments: