Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bah Humbug! I mean...Happy St. Valentine's Day!

I'll just go ahead and admit that I have been feeling like a pretty big Valentine's Scrooge this year. What can I say, it's a tough year!

Truthfully, I've never really liked Valentine's Day. When we were kids, my dad always did a good job of making his three girls feel very loved (my mom did, too, but I think it was super special for my dad to be able to do something for his girls). Even when I was a kid, though, I caught on pretty early to the Valentine's popularity contest (who got the most, who you got them from, what kind of card you got, what they said, etc.). And truthfully, I had plenty of friends but I wasn't exactly the winner of the popularity contest. (I do think it's better that they make the kids give a card to everyone in the class now...but we all know there's still an element of the popularity contest going on, as we've all seen how kids give the "best" valentine to their "favorite" kid or whatever.) Once I got old enough to care, I felt pretty left out when all my friends were getting special Valentine treats from their special someone, and as I didn't really date too much in high school, I was never really in on that fun.

But truth be told, I've had Valentine's Days when I've been in a relationship and when I haven't, and either way...not that fun. When you're not in a relationship, Valentine's Day feels like everyone's rubbing it in (I know, if you feel that way it's a personal problem and not everyone else's problem, but it's still hard) and it seems like EVERYONE else IS in a relationship. When you're in a relationship, there are a lot of unnecessary expectations and pressures to spend money, make it special, do something unique, find a good gift, etc., etc., etc.

The idea behind Valentine's Day is a good one--letting the people who are important in our lives know how much we care about them. I guess my main struggle is in understanding why we need a special day to tell people we love each other--shouldn't we be doing that everyday? I guess I understand that some people DO need that reminder because they don't share that everyday, but we all should be showing, through words and actions, how much we love each other every day, whether those people are spouses, significant others, siblings, parents, children, friends, etc.

Nevertheless, sweet Audri gently reminded me that I'm being a little too bah humbug-ish about the whole thing, so I will try to get over it. Maybe it's partially that it's just different this year and when I'm struggling in general, days like this are extra tough. But I DID have a hot date with a cute boy this weekend (so he was six...so what?), and I treated myself to a Valentine's cupcake tonight (hey, when you don't get anything else for Valentine's Day, you have to take what you can get!), and I'll have my little Valentine's blog background for a day or so, and I will tell you about a few people (among many) who I love. I love you all just because you are amazing people and I see God in each of you, but here is one particular thing I can think of that I love you about you (out of many!). It's going to be quick, so even if you don't see your name on here, KNOW THAT YOU ARE LOVED! And I'm incredibly blessed and thankful for your presence in my life. I'm a better person because of each of you. This is just a little kick in my own butt to remind me of the wonderful people in my life, even when I'm struggling. Here goes:

*I love the way Audri always sends me little facebook love notes and she will gently remind me to get out of myself and be okay. And the way we love all the same things. :) Love you, Audj!
*I love the way, when things have been REALLY tough over these last few months, April has said to me repeatedly, "Jen, call me any time. I have an infant. I'm up all hours!" and she hasn't minded when I've taken her up on that offer, calling at ridiculous times of the day and night. Love you, April!
*I love the way my sweet sister always makes me laugh and the way there are no holds barred when we talk. Love you, Meems!
*I love the way my friends are so funny and reading their blogs can always make me smile and brighten my day--especially Chelsea and Josh! Love you both!
*I love reading about Val's beautiful boys and the way she is always sharing recipes and ideas and bits of knowledge she picks up here and there along the way. Love you, Val!

There are many more, but it's getting late and my brain is still kind of on San Antonio time (I'll post about that soon!), so just know that I love you! And as a very wise friend always says, "KNOW THAT YOU ARE LOVED! KNOW THAT!"
P.S. I'm not a TOTAL Valentine's Scrooge. My "hot date" involved spending Saturday afternoon through Sunday afternoon watching one of my co-workers kiddos so she could surprise her hubby and go on a little romantic get-away for the first time EVER in their ten years of marriage. And I DID make the kids heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast this morning and had them make giant Valentines for their parents. :) See...not a total Scrooge!

4 comments:

Gilbrides said...

Jen, you are so funny! I don't think you're a valentine scrooge at all. James totally agrees with you about not needing a special day just to say "I love you!" We've never been big about celebrating either. Having a date with a hot six year old, was probably way more fun than any other date. ;) That was really sweet of you to help out your friend, especially in helping the kids make valentines for thier parents! You are such an amazing person. You are so thoughtful, kind, sweet, generous, and fun. I hope your days are filled with sunshine, smiles, and warmth in your heart!

Yellow House said...

Great post, Jen! Thanks for the shout out. Friends make the world much sweeter!! Hope we can get together this year sometime.

audri jo said...

Okay I didn't really mean to call you out, just inserting my pro-valentine opinion :) I think you either love it or hate it and I don't think anyone from either side will ever win that battle...it's one of those epic wars ;) ;). Im sorry if I seemed insensitive, I know this has been an extremely difficult year for you (and I HATE that!). I'm glad you had a 'hot date' ;) you are so amazing and selfless and wonderful! I hope you know how much I love, admire, and adore you!

How I truly feel about you: who can say if I've been changed for the better, but...because I [know] you, I have been changed for good!

Happy belated valentines darling :) LOVE you!

Jen said...

Audj, darling, you did not seem insensitive at all--it was a good kick in the butt for me. :) Love you, girl!