Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Love My Piano...

...I really, really do. And all the other lovely things my beautiful and generous friends and family gave me this year for Christmas, too.

But my favorite gift, by far, was this:


Here's the story: On our second date, as part of our date, my amazing boyfriend and I went to Powell's bookstore--the largest bookstore in the world--because it's a very "Portland" kind of thing to do. We wandered around for awhile, mostly looking at children's books (because that's what you do when you go to a bookstore on a date, right? Everyone can talk about children's books, it's not awkward, and everyone has those memories in common.) We had a really good time, and we talked and laughed about many of our childhood favorites. We looked at a bunch of pop-up books and laughed about how we thought they were soooooooo cool when we were kids.

Later, walking through another section, I spotted a copy of "The Little Prince," by far one of my favorite books, and one that means a lot to me. I mentioned that I loved that book and we moved on.

Fast forward to a few weeks later. He was again visiting me in Portland, and when we got back to my apartment after the movie we'd just seen, there was a package slip on my door from the Post Office. I was a little confused because I wasn't expecting anything--anything I'd ordered for Christmas had already come, and I'd had everything shipped either to my sister's house or my work address. Confused, I put it aside, we finished our date, he left, and the next day I went to the post office to retrieve the mysterious package.

It was from him!

I was totally shocked. For it to have gotten there when it did, he would have had to purchase and send it after only 2 dates, and I definitely wasn't expecting anything from him. He'd already given me an awesome Gonzaga basketball Christmas tree ornament (which I love), so I didn't think there was any reason he'd send anything else.

In the box was a present wrapped up in red paper. I was a good girl (apparently I have tremendous amounts of will power) and waited to open it until Christmas morning with my family. When I opened it, my parents and Sterling all went, "Huh. That's cool." But my sister knew. Amy saw it and immediately said, "ohhhhhh! He's thoughtful!" He remembered I said I loved it, and he happened to find this version. I have never seen anything quite like it. It's a gorgeous, unabridged version of the text in the form of a pop-up book.

It is seriously amazing. Perfect. And so is he. :)

2 comments:

Shafferprincess said...

Hmm - he does sound thoughtful! Good for him!

So, when do we get to learn his name? ;)

The Woolley's said...

I agree with Renee! You have been keeping us on pins and needles long enough!!!!!!