Friday, July 18, 2008

My Peanut Guy!


I took Monday off so I could spend an extra day in Kennewick with Erik and recoup a little from VBS (after working 84 hours last week, I figured I deserved a day off!). Erik had to work that night, so I went to the baseball game!!

Growing up in a little town in the middle of nowhere, I played softball for a few years, but baseball wasn't really on my radar. Erik, on the other hand, grew up with baseball, and he LOVES it!! The thing is, since we've been friends, he's shared that love with me, and I can truly say I really, really like baseball!! He's AWESOME about explaining things to me--he's super patient, he never makes me feel dumb, and (unlike my wonderful daddy, who gets completely absorbed in whatever sporting event he happens to be watching) he can pay attention to me and answer my questions and watch the game at the same time. Erik took my sister and I to our first Major League game ever two summers ago in Seattle, and it was a BLAST!! Going to baseball games is kinda like a big party--and really, it's probably only about 60% about the actual GAME for most people--it's about the atmosphere and the games and the stuff between the innings as much as it is about the sport. Loads of fun. :)

Anyway, at his ballpark (and beyond!), Erik is totally famous. I'm not joking. He has his own magnet. :) And people all over the country have his face on their fridge. Seriously. He's been recognized as "Erik, the Peanut Guy" on the street in both Portland and Seattle when I've been with him. People asked him ALL NIGHT on Sunday where he'd been the prior two evenings. They love him there. He sells peanuts and Cracker Jacks, but he's also the on-field host, which means he runs the games between innings, carries a microphone, and talks over the loudspeaker the whole night. He's like their second mascot.

One of the things he's implemented is the Grounds Crew Dance. Every summer he choreographs a dance, teaches it to the grounds crew, and from time to time, they show up on the field between innings and dance. This year's dance is pretty similar to last year's (and they use the same song) because Erik only had a couple days to figure it out, but it's still pretty awesome. :) They were not planning on dancing at Sunday's game, but just because I was going to be there, he talked them into doing it!! So, even though it's small, here's a video of the dance.



If you can't tell which one's Erik by the apron, he's the one who shakes his hips the most. :) (That'a boy!) And if you want to see last year's dance, check out this video on YouTube: Dust Devils Ground Crew Dance '07!
Love it!

No comments: