Monday, September 20, 2010

Domestic Goddesses.

Yep, that's what you could call us. :) My sister and I had the BEST weekend together! Her hubby was out of town, and (love you, Ster!) it was GREAT to have her all to myself! :) It's not been often over the last ten-ish years that we've had the opportunity to spend time together, just the two of us. There are usually boyfriends or husbands or friends or other people with us, and while that's great, it was really nice to just hang out.

I wish I could say we did something fabulously wonderful, but we're pretty low-key. :) Plus she only had Saturday off, so what can you do? Friday night Amy helped me get my car in and out of the shop (AGAIN!!!!!), then we headed down to Mt. Angel for Oktoberfest. Mt. Angel puts on a HUGE Oktoberfest every year--tens of thousands of people descend upon this tiny town as it fills with German goodness--food, crafts, music, you name it! :) Amy had never been down to it before, so it was fun to head down together. We had typical Oregon weather (read: pouring rain), but we made the most of it. We shared a German sausage, schnitzel, spaetzle, and a delectable apple cake with butter sauce (so what I'm saying is that we were super healthy that night...), checked out the booths, and then headed home pretty early. (What can I say...apparently we're a couple of old ladies!) :)

Saturday morning I caught up with a friend who I hadn't seen since college and we spent a couple hours catching up, which was lovely. Then I picked up Allee and headed over to Amy's for the rest of the weekend. We had a great time! We headed out to Sauvie's Island (a classic Portland location with lots of farms, orchards, farmers markets, etc)--where again, she had never visited during her years in Portland. Again with that Portland weather...but we made the most of it. :) We randomly decided it would be fun to freeze corn, so we sorted through and shucked 40 ears of corn ($10 worth), got a few other farmer's market treats, made a quick stop by the mall, and headed back to Amy's house. We made a DELICIOUS dinner of smoky stuffed peppers (recipe to follow soon), then got to work. 20 bags of corn later, we discovered it's actually a pretty easy process to steam blanche corn and freeze it, for 50 cents per bag! :) (Note: if you're using a food saver to freeze corn, you have to freeze it FIRST, THEN seal the bags...this took us awhile to figure out, but once we did, it was a breeze.)

Then we made delicious gourmet dessert and settled in to watch (okay, fall asleep to...) a "Harry Potter" movie. It was glorious to hang out with my awesome sis, and we're so proud of our domesticity! :)

No comments: