I love Advent! The weeks leading up to Christmas are so fun, with the hustle and bustle of the season, thinking about ways to brighten the lives of the people we love, the sights and sounds and smells, beautiful music--I love everything about it. I think the madness of singing in HiLites during Christmastime in high school cemented that for me--running around doing sometimes as many as six or seven performances in a day and seeing the faces of the kids and adults alike as we danced and sang was something I truly, truly loved. I treasure those memories.
But the time leading up to Christmas is also a time to slow down, take some quiet time, and reflect on the many blessings we've been given, the greatest of which shows up as a tiny baby in a manger just a few days from now. I have been SO blessed, particularly in this last year. You all know it's been an enormously difficult year or so for me, but these last few months have been incredible. And you know, I wouldn't trade the tough times for anything, because looking back I realize how much I've learned and grown from everything. So this year, those are some of the blessings I've been reflecting on for this Advent season. This last week or two is supposed to be a time of great joy, and judging by the smile that rarely leaves my face these days, I think I've been properly observing Advent. :)
So I wish you all a joyous and happy last few days of Advent! May you get a few minutes each day to stop, breathe, and remember how incredibly blessed we are. And know that I count each and every one of you among my greatest blessings.
Post note: when I worked at St. Anthony's in Forest Grove a few years ago, you might remember me talking about running a huge, crazy event on the first Sunday of Advent (four Sundays before Christmas) called, appropriately, "The Advent Event." It was a ton of work and giant pain in the neck for me, but one of the coolest things about that event is the chance to make an Advent wreath. Members of the congregation bring in tons of fresh greenery from their yards and people can make their own wreaths for their homes. I've tried to go out for it every year since I left to visit and say hello and make a wreath. The photo at the top of this post is the wreath I made this year! They made fun of me because I took a long time to make it, but I am so proud of it--I think it turned out beautifully!)
1 comment:
I've never made an Advent wreath before but it looks so pretty - and I bet smells super good! Those "hi-lites" days seems like yesterday (and a million years ago)...
Post a Comment