As his friends and family have been trying to cope with the aftermath of this terrible accident, people have been sharing stories and photos and memories of Austin and his incredible life. Austin had just finished his second Masters degree and was getting ready to go on a trip to Europe when he was killed on the job. As I've been reminiscing and sharing with friends and reading their stories and watching videos and looking at photos of Austin, I just hope that Austin knew how much he was loved while he was still with us. The love is overwhelming and a true testament to what an awesome person he was.
It also gets me thinking: I sure hope the amazing people in my life know how much I love them!! Sometimes it's hard to remember to take the time to tell people we love them, especially when our culture tells us to avoid that "yucky love stuff" (thank you, My Best Friend's Wedding!). Why does it take the death of a loved one for us to remember how much people mean to us? We are social animals--we're meant to rely on each other for love and support!! I am SO blessed to have incredibly loving, supportive, wonderful people in my life, and I hope I never take them for granted.
So, Austin, know that you'll be missed, but mostly, know that you are loved!! I'm so thankful for the short time we had together, and I'm so blessed to have known you. We used to have a class together called "Life Before God," about the spiritual journey, and Austin, I know you've reached the pinnacle of that journey, because with God, the BEST is yet to come, of course!!And to all my friends and loved ones, I hope you all know that I love you. "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy" (Phil 1:3-4).
No comments:
Post a Comment