Saturday, October 18, 2008

Let It Be OVER.

That's how I'm feeling about the whole "Election Season."  Seriously, we've been watching these crappy commercials and listening to people slamming and bashing each other for over TWO YEARS now for this whole "I want to be President" thing.  You know, like most little kids, I used to think someday maybe I would want to be President, but NOT the way they play it these days.  They all fight dirty.  And I don't get it.  Have you EVER watched a political ad where one candidate bashes another and thought, "Gosh, I think I'll vote for that guy!"?  NO!!  And neither has anyone else in the country.  I don't get why political candidates think that's good campaigning.  I don't know of ANYONE who enjoys those commercials, gets anything out of them, or finds them remotely helpful.  Hey Politicians, guess what--WE ALL HATE IT WHEN YOU BASH EACH OTHER!  JUST BE NICE, WOULD YOU?!?!?  Good grief, people.

And could we EVER get a single candidate who cares about things that are important?  Like LIFE?  You know, it's funny, because I remember senior year of high school, in Mr. Barnes's College Prep Government class, he read positions to us over and over and over and had us go back and forth from one side of the classroom to the other based on which statements we agreed with.  By the end, whichever side we'd spent the most time on was the side we most closely agreed with, and that side aligned with one or the other of the major parties.  And I found I had a major problem with at least one aspect of each party--death penalty on one side, abortion on the other.  

I don't get why neither of the major parties can care about life in all its facets.  They're for abortion--for killing babies--and get away with it by calling it "pro-choice."  Or they call themselves "pro-life," because they oppose abortion, but they're for playing God and enacting the death penalty.  They're for killing off grandma and grandpa because they're no longer deemed "useful," or they happen to be sick.  They're for war.  Remember how our moms and dads told us to talk things out with people and use our words?  When did we forget to try that before just bombing the crap out of the so-called "enemy?"  Why can't we look out for the betterment of the American people--ALL of them--instead of the interests of the rich, the privileged, the special interest groups, the people with the loudest voices, etc.?

There's this ad in Oregon where a candidate is telling me all about how horrible the other one is because, God forbid, he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade and lower the number of abortions, but HE, on the other hand, would NEVER do that.  And every time I see it, I think, "Why on earth would I ever vote for you?"  Holy crow.  (Click here if you want to see that ridiculous ad.)

I do think it's VITAL for each of us to vote.  I probably won't tell you who I vote for, and you don't have to tell me who you're voting for, but if you have the privilege to vote, I think you have a responsibility to vote.  And if you DON'T vote, you have NO right to complain about things, because you had a chance to have your say and you didn't take it.  If you vote, then you have the right to complain, because you did your best to follow your conscience and make a decision for the betterment of everyone.

The point is, I don't think either candidate is ideal this year, and I'm sick of the whole "lesser of two evils" crap.  Both of them have some really great ideas and some really good things about them, and both of them have some MAJOR problems, too.  Why can we NEVER have a politically moderate candidate?  (And I mean a TRUE moderate, not an uber who claims to be moderate.)  Whatever happened to actually having a really good candidate?  Why can't there be a candidate who runs on a platform of international diplomacy, support for life in all it's forms, etc.?  I guess it's because it's like they always say...if Jesus were running for President, he'd be unelectable.  *sigh*  I'm so sick of all this nonsense.  And the sad thing is, this kind of stuff gives "politics" a bad name, because politics in their real form are quite fascinating, not back-stabbing, bitter, name-calling, repetitive, and horrible. 

This year we'll ALL have something to be thankful for--the end of all this national crap.  Can it just be Thanksgiving already?  

No comments: