I've never gotten one ever before, but yesterday I decided to do it since I was already getting shot up at the allergist anyway. Hey, if you're going to get one shot, you might as well get two, right?
So, if you are a flu shot-getter, have you ever had a weird reaction? My mom gets them every year without fail and is much healthier since she started getting them. My dad, on the other hand, has gotten them 2-3 times, and without fail, those are the years he's gotten the flu and been sicker than he ever has before; years he doesn't get a flu shot, he doesn't get the flu.
What do you think about all this?
4 comments:
I think normal healthy people don't need flu shots. The flu virus mutates all the time. You get one varient one year and the next another varient to combat the new mutant. But, if someone is older or has a history of getting sick easily then they should. The Navy Hospital made me get one last year, while I was pregnant with Caleb. I tried to refuse, but they gave me the impression that I would still get one even though I didn't want to. This fall/winter I don't plan going to the doctor to avoid that situation. I feel that its my right to get a shot or not.
We haven't decided yet if we're doing flu shots. I can't remember if we did last year or not (probably not since we were so new up here), but we were SO sick. Not necessarily with the flu, but still . . .
My mom, though, gets the flu if she gets a flu shot, so she doesn't get them anymore. Within a day or so of getting shot, she'd be in bed with the flu and just feeling miserable. So, there's one example for you! :)
Renee
We do get flu shots, and we have our kids get flu shots, too. Since Aaron is a doctor, he is around the sickest people all day long, and brings home all kinds of germs. Yes, it is a gamble - the flu shot only protects you against the 3 or so strains of the virus that are predicted to be the most common for the year, and the virus does keep mutating, which is why you need a new shot every year. But, if it can keep us from getting sick, even once, then it is worth it!
I have had my kids get the flu shot every year. They seem to be really healthy and it seems to work. However, I hardly ever get sick so I don't get the flu shot myself. I think it depends on your immune system on how you react to the shot. My mother-in-law gets the flu everytime she gets a shot but I think she has a pretty weak immune system. I am hoping that by having my kids get the shot every year that it will help boost their immune system. Maybe it's just wishful thinking ;)
Post a Comment