Sunday, January 11, 2009

DELICIOUS, Low-Fat, Low-Cal Oatmeal Applesauce Pancakes!

I was totally craving pancakes today, but I'm really making an effort to eat healthy (New Year's resolutions, right?), so I searched online for a recipe.  These are DELICIOUS!!  You probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already (I did), and they totally hit the spot.  I smeared just a little bit of my homemade blackberry jam on them, but I'm sure they'd also be super good with maple syrup or applesauce on them.  They're delicious, healthy, and very filling!  Enjoy!

Here's the recipe:

Low-Fat, Low-Cal Applesauce Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or substitute whole wheat flour for 1/2 the amount--that's what I did!)
1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large egg whites
1 Tbsp. canola oil

Place ingredients in medium bowl and whisk until well-blended.

Heat a griddle/frying pan until 375 degrees (medium).  When griddle is hot, pour about 1/4 pancake batter per pancake.  Cook until bubbles appear and the edges are puffed.  Flip the pancakes and cook until golden.

Makes 8-9 pancakes.

Per 2 pancake serving: Calories 248, Calories from fat 46, Total fat 5.2 grams (sat. 0.6 grams), Cholesterol 1 mg, Sodium 309 mg, Carbohydrates 42.7 grams, Fiber 2.9 grams, Protein 7.8 grams.  (*Obviously these numbers will be a little different if you use 1/2 wheat flour, but they're close.)

No comments: