Sunday, January 11, 2009

Peacock Lane

The infamous "leg lamp" from "A Christmas Story."

The last couple years, Erik and I have gone on a special "Christmas date," but because of the crazy snow, we almost didn't get to do it this year.  Nevertheless, we persevered, and found a fun Christmas date to go on, despite all the snow closures and travel craziness.
In Portland, they have a Christmas tradition that every year, this cute little street of old, old houses gets totally decked out for Christmas.  I guess they've been doing it for decades, and lots of Portlanders go see it.
Some houses have themes, others are just decorated with lots of lights.  Either way, it's fun!
They have free hot apple cider and hot chocolate (free or by donation)--a must on cold, snowy, wet nights like the night we were there.  The snow TOTALLY added to the ambience, though. 
They had Santa and Mrs. Claus out taking photos with people (there was a line, so we passed that by and let the kiddies do it).  They also had an archway with mistletoe.  :)
Supposedly they have horse-drawn carriage rides, but we didn't see it.  We did, however, see a hayride pass us by as we headed out. 

Overall, it was a very fun (FREE) date!  :)

2 comments:

Joshua said...

Ok, so the snow pictures are scary! I'm glad you had such a fun street to go to for lights though. There should be more neighborhoods like that. =)

Amy said...

So was it worth it? I hope so! It looks awesome!