Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Healthy cupcakes?" OR "SURPRISE!"


About a month ago, my roommate got engaged!!  Her boyfriend (now fiancee) proposed at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle and it was a total surprise to her.  They came back like a day or two later and one of Joey's cousins threw them an impromptu engagement party.  There was basically no notice, so even though many of Analisa's friends were invited, only one of them could make it.  She was pretty bummed out that none of her friends showed up (I was even busy--Erik's sister and brother-in-law were in town that weekend), but all of Joey's family were there.  

Analisa is from Utah, too, and her best friend had plans to come visit this past weekend.  I started thinking about it, and decided it might be fun to throw them a surprise engagement party that her friends could actually come to.  Through the magic of facebook, I got in touch with her best friend, Amy, and together we planned a little party for them to take place during Amy's visit.  So even though I'm not feeling too hot, we threw a party last night, the surprise worked out, a good number of people came (some of Joey's and some of Analisa's friends--phew!), and even though I barely knew anyone, it was really fun.

Joey is a pretty big health nut, but what is a party without dessert, right?  So I made these cupcakes, and they turned out awesome!!  I just used a chocolate cake mix, added the water the mix called for, and instead of eggs and oil, I added about 15 oz (1 small can or 1/2 a big can) of pumpkin, and they turned out moist and delicious!!  And even if you don't like pumpkin, they don't taste like pumpkin at all!  So they have about 1/2 the calories and fat of a regular cake, but they're just as moist and delicious.  :)  And they were a HUGE hit!!  I laughed because everyone thought I was so creative and clever to write the message with cupcakes (I thought it was pretty boring, actually), but then people had fun rearranging them into as many different words as possible as different letters gradually got eaten throughout the night.  It was fun.

So the party went off without a hitch (despite a few scares), and it was a great time.  Congrats, roomie!  :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

So, you are a posting feign! But I'll only comment on one!

I think I could guess most of the Autumn color photos, but I'll let someone else win!

I love the Orange and Black, turned out super cute!

Good work on the cupcakes, I'm going to have to try that. I bake everything with Pumpkin these days!!

I love you! I'm skipping class this afternoon to have some Amy time because I studied like crazy all weekend. Lets chat! Love you.