Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Girls' Weekend in Vegas, Part 1


For everyone who keeps asking me to write about it, here's a post (or two...or three) about the girls' weekend some friends and I had in October!

It was definitely a long-time coming. We started talking about it over a year ago when my bestie April was just about to have baby Logan. When her first baby was born, I met him when he was three weeks old. I met her second little one when she was three months old, but we were having trouble figuring out when I would get a chance to meet #3. Our other friend, Janna, and I were going to try to fly down last spring to visit her in Las Vegas, but between expensive air fare and crazy schedules, it just didn't work out, so we decided to postpone it until the fall.

Fast forward to June, when I got an email from Southwest Airlines advertising an amazing sale. We had several other friends who had mentioned being interested in a girls' weekend (all girls I sang with in our show choir, HiLites, during my senior year of high school), so when we realized that the fare sale wasn't going to last long, we picked a weekend, sent out an email to everyone who had mentioned they'd be interested, and within the span of four hours, seven girls had planned to get together in October, and three of us had purchased plane tickets! Crazy. It came together SO quickly that it seemed like it was definitely what we were supposed to do! Unfortunately two girls ended up having to bail because of family stuff (we missed you both!), but the five of us who got together had a blast!

As you guys know, this last year has been pretty rough for me, so I was super excited to have something fun to look forward to, especially over that particular weekend which was coincidently the weekend that marked a year since Erik and I had broken up. This was also the first time I've ever taken a trip just for fun, without some ulterior motive like a graduation, wedding, etc., where the whole purpose was just to hang out and have fun with my friends. (I told another friend that, and she said, "Wait...this is the first time you've ever taken a vacation?" I thought about that and realized, yep, that's exactly what that means.)

As the time got closer and many phone calls and emails were exchanged, plans started coming together and we knew it was going to be really fun. That last day of teaching before my sister picked me up to get on the plane went soooooo slowly! Janna flew into Las Vegas from Denver early in the morning on Thursday, so the two of them did some shopping and getting ready for the trip and then picked me up at the airport that night. Shortly after that we met up with Amber and Valeri, who had driven down from Salt Lake. After a hug-filled reunion, we headed out to the hotel where we had made reservations for the first two nights.

This photo pretty much sums up our first night all together:

Come to think of it, that was sort of the theme for the weekend. :) Not a lot of sleep, but it was fabulous!

More to come...

3 comments:

Josh and Kristen said...

Oh man! Sounds like so much fun! I would LOVE to go on a trip with girlfriends from high school!

Sami said...

So, who couldn't make it? I'm trying to remember who else was in that group. Audri? I don't know...

Jen said...

Audri and Renee. We were super sad they couldn't come. :(