As some of you know, I've been struggling with my current job, for lots of reasons that I don't need to explain here. If you've read my blog you've seen how much I'm responsible for and you probably know that time off and my schedule don't really seem to go together...ever. It's a big job that just keeps getting bigger.
I was SO angry and upset, because this isn't exactly the first time something like this has happened. So I basically ended the meeting, went to my office, grabbed my cell phone, and went for a walk and called my mom and cried. In the middle of the phone call, my mom had to answer the door, and I started praying. I said, "God, I can't do this anymore. I need the perfect opportunity to fall into my lap, and I need you to make it happen SOON." My mom came back on the phone and told me she had to go, so I hung up, pulled myself together, and went back to my office to keep working.
Not 20 minutes later my office phone rang. It was this guy I know from Yakima who was kind of involved with REACH (he actually was part of the interview team when I interviewed). I literally haven't talked to him in at least 2 1/2 years, so the phone call was TOTALLY out of the blue. He told me he's working for this organization called Northwest Family Services in Portland (a non-profit organization funded largely by government grants), and he told me they have a position they are trying to fill and wanted to know if I knew anyone who was looking for a job. He said he'd just been talking to Laura, my former REACH supervisor, and she suggested he call me to see if I knew anyone.
So I asked him what the job is, and basically it involves going into schools, mostly middle schools, and giving presentations on respect for life, pro-life, abstinence, chastity, healthy choices, etc. It also involves occasionally leading day-long pro-life retreats, occasionally giving talks on chastity to youth groups, and working with high school kids to teach them how to be mentors to younger kids. It only requires a few evenings and weekends per year. And it pays better than my current job.
Basically it was tailor-made for me. :) Needless to say, I was freaking out. Literally 20 minutes after begging God to drop the perfect opportunity in my lap, it seemed the ideal job for me had suddenly landed right in front of me. So to make a long story a little shorter, Steve had the woman doing the hiring give me a call to talk more about the position, so that afternoon we scheduled an interview for Friday morning.
I've recently been asked to add Marriage Prep and Wedding Coordination to my list of responsibilities. I more or less knew this was coming, so that was fine. But last Tuesday at work, my supervisor informed me that I actually can't count any of the marriage prep or wedding coordinator stuff toward my work hours because "I get paid extra for that" ($75). She said, "Look at it like having a second job, because it's basically like taking a second job." I said, "Well, that sucks. Because I didn't have any say in the matter. I was told I have to do it. And the extra pay turns out to be about $5 an hour, when you factor in all the hours it takes for the rehearsal, the wedding, set-up, clean-up, etc., plus it means two extra trips for me to Forest Grove and back." She said, "Well, it was in your job description when you were hired." And I said, "Well, if it's in my job description, then doesn't that mean it's part of my job? And so I should be able to count those hours?" And she said, "Well, then you shouldn't be getting paid extra for it."
I was SO angry and upset, because this isn't exactly the first time something like this has happened. So I basically ended the meeting, went to my office, grabbed my cell phone, and went for a walk and called my mom and cried. In the middle of the phone call, my mom had to answer the door, and I started praying. I said, "God, I can't do this anymore. I need the perfect opportunity to fall into my lap, and I need you to make it happen SOON." My mom came back on the phone and told me she had to go, so I hung up, pulled myself together, and went back to my office to keep working.
Not 20 minutes later my office phone rang. It was this guy I know from Yakima who was kind of involved with REACH (he actually was part of the interview team when I interviewed). I literally haven't talked to him in at least 2 1/2 years, so the phone call was TOTALLY out of the blue. He told me he's working for this organization called Northwest Family Services in Portland (a non-profit organization funded largely by government grants), and he told me they have a position they are trying to fill and wanted to know if I knew anyone who was looking for a job. He said he'd just been talking to Laura, my former REACH supervisor, and she suggested he call me to see if I knew anyone.
So I asked him what the job is, and basically it involves going into schools, mostly middle schools, and giving presentations on respect for life, pro-life, abstinence, chastity, healthy choices, etc. It also involves occasionally leading day-long pro-life retreats, occasionally giving talks on chastity to youth groups, and working with high school kids to teach them how to be mentors to younger kids. It only requires a few evenings and weekends per year. And it pays better than my current job.
Basically it was tailor-made for me. :) Needless to say, I was freaking out. Literally 20 minutes after begging God to drop the perfect opportunity in my lap, it seemed the ideal job for me had suddenly landed right in front of me. So to make a long story a little shorter, Steve had the woman doing the hiring give me a call to talk more about the position, so that afternoon we scheduled an interview for Friday morning.
I went in Friday morning, had a GREAT interview, where I was TOTALLY straight with them and told them what I needed and wanted in a good job. I talked with them (Steve, the woman who will be my supervisor, and the Executive Director) for about an hour and a half and felt really good about it. At the end of the interview they asked, "Do you want this job?" And I said, "I really do. I don't know if I'm supposed to say that, but I REALLY do." They laughed and told me that was what they needed to hear. They thanked me for my time and asked me to fill out some paperwork. One woman stayed and talked to me for a few more minutes, then left me to fill out the forms. About ten minutes later she came back and said, "We'd like to offer you the job, and we'd like to offer it to you at the top of the pay scale." I stopped dead, looked her in the eye, and said, "REALLY?????" She asked, "Do you need some time to think and pray about it?" And I immediately said, "NO!" She asked, "Really?" And I responded, "I feel like when God hands you something, you take it. You don't ask questions, you go for it." So God REALLY pulled through for me here.
So as soon as she left I called my mom, texted Erik to call me (which he immediately did), and finished filling out the paperwork. Then I left, drove out and ran a wedding rehearsal at work, then promptly quit my job and gave my 2 weeks notice, then headed out to dinner with a bunch of friends for Erik's roommate's birthday. It was a CRAZY day!
I am SUUUUUUUUUUUUPER excited about this opportunity--it's EXACTLY what I want to be doing right now, and I think the people I will be working with are going to be amazing (from everything I've seen and heard about them so far). It's been crazy having to tell our staff and the congregation at the church that I'm leaving (and will only continue to get crazier until I actually leave), but I feel FANTASTIC about this decision. Seriously, I couldn't be happier.
So in 72 hours last week, "my life got flipped, turned upside down!" (name that quote...). And I am THRILLED about it. I can't wait to start my new job...just a few more weeks!! And I'm so excited because it's still doing awesome work, it's working with kids/teens, and it's basically being a full-time speaker/presenter. AHHHHHHH!!!! Be careful what you pray for...you just might get it! In a big, fast, powerful way.
Thank you, God.
So that's my story. And that's what I mean when I say the BEST is yet to come!!
4 comments:
CONGRATS!! That is so amazing! I'm so glad things are working out so great! God knows what he is doing, we just have to put our faith in him! I try to remember to thank Him daily for everything he does in my life. Best wishes with everything!
That's awesome Jen, I'm super super excited for your new adventure!
Good job in keeping the faith! =D and thanks for sharing.
Congratulations!! That is so exciting. I am so excited for you and this new wonderful job opportunity. I really hope it is everything you've wanted and more! Best of luck in finishing up everything from your current job and saying goodbye to everyone and happy adventures in the new job!
Post a Comment