
Tomorrow a young man, amazing musician, talented engineer, and a good friend (among so many other things) will be laid to rest. Collin Keck was just 22 years old when he died in a tragic biking accident on his way to work last Thursday. He just graduated from Gonzaga last May--truly, in many ways, he was just beginning his life. To have it cut so short is a tragedy, but also a wake-up call to all of us to live as Collin lived.
I only had the opportunity to know Collin for a semester before he went abroad to Ireland, and I moved away from Spokane before he came back to finish his senior year. Even in just a few short months, I had many clear insights and experiences of how amazing Collin was.
If you check out the amazing website our friend Davey made in Collin's honor, you can see what I mean. While 22 years was far too few, Collin did SO much with the years he was given. Collin was one of the most genuine, loving people I've had the chance to meet. He gave of himself 100% to every single person who crossed his path, and he did it without hesitation. Collin was the kind of person people gravitate toward--you can't help but want to be near people like that. His smile could literally light up a room--but it was more than that. Collin had a LIGHT within him, and he wasn't afraid to share that light with the world. Collin had a BEAUTIFUL voice. Oh, how I wish I had more opportunities to hear him sing!! To listen to Collin was to hear a little piece of heaven (and I'm not exaggerating). How exciting to know that he is now singing with the Choirs of Angels!!! I hope every once in awhile they let him sing a little Dave Matthews, because no one sings "Stay" quite like Collin.
I remember when we were asked to help judge BBT call-backs--Collin, Chris, and I somehow got assigned to be the ones to listen to the solos. It was such an awesome experience to sit in that room with Chris, who admittedly wasn't very musical, but could definitely get a vibe for each person's performance style, and Collin, who was INCREDIBLY musical--but also incredibly gracious and generous in his critiques of each soloist, even when it was just the three of us judging and the soloist had already left the room. Collin was the kind of guy who never had a negative thing to say about anyone.
He was fun-loving and adventurous and kind and he will be missed terribly, that is certain. He was a gentle, beautiful soul, and the comfort we can take from this tragic accident is knowing that someday we will see him again in heaven (TBIYTC, right?!).
So if you think about it tomorrow, say a prayer for Collin and his parents, Tom and Mary, and his older brother, Russell, because Thursday will be a tough day for them for sure. And while you're at it, check out Davey's website, www.collinkeck.com. Leave a prayer for Collin's family if you're so inclined. And check out Collin's List--it might inspire you. But no matter what you do, hug your family, call your mom, tell the people you love that you love them. Don't wait. You never know when it might be exactly what they needed--or when it might be too late. Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment