Thursday, September 25, 2008

What Inspires You?

No, seriously.  I want to know.  What inspires you?

Whenever someone you love passes away or you make a major life change or something makes you question your outlook, you should ask yourself that.

Or maybe I'm just asking because several of those things have happened to me in the past week or two.  

I had a cool experience today.  This really awesome lady (who used to have part of my new job) came in to train me on how to do Lifesaver retreats today.  She used to do these part-time, but she just had twin baby girls in May, and when you add them to her 2 and 3 year old boys she already had, it's just a lot to try and get her to do all these retreats.  So they get to be part of my job, and I'm SO excited about them.  

Anyway, this lady, Estela, is SO cool.  One of the sweetest, most awesome people I've met in a long time.  We started having a talk about these retreats, and somehow it came around to babies and pro-life stuff, and so I told her a little about my friend Amy and her baby, Matthew (thanks for letting me share, Amy!).  We watched the little slideshow of the photos of Matthew when he was just born and TINY, and I showed her some photos of Matthew now at a year old.  This lady I've never met before was totally crying!  It was awesome to see how touched she was by this story, and I think I'll get a lot more opportunities to share their story, with Amy's permission, of course.  :)  That was the 2nd time today I sent someone to their website.

I guess it was just really inspiring to see someone wear their passion so openly like that.  Maybe I'm not explaining this well, but it really inspired me, and helped me to see that I DEFINITELY made the right decision in taking this job--I think it's going to be amazing and I'm soooooo excited about it!  I get to help kids learn how to make healthy choices, help them understand what it means to be abstinent and to wait until marriage to have sex, and what it means to respect life in the world at all stages, and why these things are important.  What an awesome way to make a difference in the world.

So, back to the question I really want to know:  What inspires you?  What makes your heart beat a little bit faster?  What makes you excited?  What sparks your interest?  What is the thing that makes you tick?  What's that one thing you've always secretly hoped for or wanted to be or do that you haven't done or been or gotten before?  I know this post isn't exactly a typical post, but I really do want to know, so please comment if you get a chance and share!

1 comment:

Valeri Crockett said...

People inspire me. I find strengths/characteristics in others that just motivates me to do and be better, different, or change. This is all the time! I love people. I love meeting new people, I love all my friends new/old, and I love family. . . they all inspire me in one way or another just by thinking about them. For instance, since high school you have always inspired me to keep in contact with others. . . and I couldn't thank you enough!