Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gratitude Project, Day 8

Today I'm thankful for dental insurance. I know it sounds lame, but seriously, I was without it for a couple years, and being without it stinks! One of my teeth has been hurting, so I went to a new dentist today and, although it will still be an expensive fix (my tooth is apparently broken and will require a root canal soon), it would be way more expensive if I didn't have insurance. Thank goodness for work benefits.

I'm so thankful that the weather has been AMAZING so far for November. We've had some rain here and there, but we've also had some actual sunshine, which is hard to come by in the Pacific Northwest this time of year. I don't take that for granted for one second.

I worked with a student for almost two hours today, trying to help her with her math. I quickly discovered that this girl has WAY bigger struggles than just not understanding the current homework, and when I brought those opinions and observations to her counselor and her teacher, they totally validated what I had to say and appreciated my effort. I'm thankful to work in a place where, even as an outsider coming in, I am so supported. And hopefully those two hours spent with her can result in getting her the help she really needs.

Every single night I am thankful for the fleece sheets on my bed! Seriously, why did no one come up with this idea sooner? I got them last year at Costco for super cheap (like $30 for a queen set), and I LOVE THEM. I bought another set a few weeks ago. It is like climbing into a big, fluffy, warm blanket every night. They are amazing. It almost makes me wish I lived somewhere it was cold longer so I could use them more during the year. Heavenly. (It's the little things, right?!?)

Speaking of little things, one of the kiddos at work gave a bag of oranges to our vice principal at lunchtime today, who promptly turned and offered me one, and it was delicious! I can't even remember the last time I ate a fresh orange. YUM!

An old college friend (who is now a co-worker) and I got together tonight for happy hour after work. We were friends in college, but we've gotten to be much better friends these last couple months as we've worked together. It's great to have him at work because we have that former connection, and our conversations are always really great--way beyond typical surface level co-worker chatter. So it was nice to just go hang out at a restaurant for a couple hours and talk about life and work and relationships and things in a real, meaningful way. I can tell he values my opinions and takes my suggestions seriously, and it's just really nice. Plus, he is a total gentleman and he treated me to the appetizers we shared. :) So I'm thankful for him and our friendship tonight, and a chance to connect outside the office.

And finally, I want to give a shout-out to my friend, Cat. Last year, when I started doing the Gratitude Project on facebook, she picked it up and ran with it, and decided to do it FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR!! She posted her 365th Gratitude Project Post tonight, and it was so awesome to see it. She always has a giant list of things she's thankful for, which has really helped me take stock of my life and think, "Gosh, if every day she can come up with a list that long, surely I can think of a few things today I'm thankful for, too." It has been a blessing, and she says it has really blessed her life in big, big ways, and changed her outlook and the way she looks at things. That's the amazing thing about doing this Gratitude Project. Throughout the day, I find myself consciously and purposefully looking for things to be grateful for, and I think going about the day with that mindset is very different from the way we normally look at the world. It's easier to be positive and upbeat about things when that is your outlook. So I'm thankful for Cat, for continuing this project and seeing it through an entire year. She's amazing. And I'm thankful she's planning on continuing it in a few different ways--less formally on facebook, and formally in a daily journal she's going to keep, which I think is brilliant.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: