Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gratitude Project, Day 9

Today I'm thankful for my sweet dad and his soft, soft heart. He is seriously the best dad in the world. One time when I was little, one of his friends/coworkers said to me, "I'm going to tell you something about your dad and I want you to know I'm serious. Your dad is SO nice, he could tell someone to go to hell, and they would enjoy the trip." I strive to be just like that.

My family has been through a lot this summer (another post for another day), which has had my mom making frequent trips to Montana to help out with my grandparents. Even though my dad HATES when my mom is gone and HATES being alone, he has been 100% supportive of this and has encouraged her to go each time. She's in Montana right now for the fifth time since May (plus she was gone to Portland for my surgery and to Boston for training for her new job).

Before she left, their dog got sick. Bailey is about five years old, and she is 100% my dad's dog. She LOVES him. When he's home, she never lets him get more than a few feet away from him. So my mom took her to the vet, they thought she had a cold, so they put her on antibiotics. They gave her all the antibiotics, but she hasn't gotten better, so my dad took her back to the vet today. They found out she has a very inflamed liver and pancreas, plus she's anemic, on top of the weird cold symptoms, and they don't know why. So she's on all kinds of heavy-duty anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics, they've "flushed her system" a few times today (whatever that means), and they're keeping her for awhile until they can figure something out.

My sweet dad gets SO attached to his animals. He loves them so much, and he is sooooo worried about Bailey. So today I'm thankful for my dad and his big soft heart, and also for their vet, who is really great, and who is working hard to figure out what's wrong with their poor puppy. (Please, God, let her be okay.)

On a less serious note, I'm also thankful for warm, comfy hoodies--is there anything better than pulling on a big, comfy hoodie when it's cold outside? I doubt it. :)

I'm also really thankful for music. After Zack and I broke up this summer, I couldn't handle listening to music for almost two months. (Thank goodness for Radiolab on my iPod so I had something to listen to on my commute.) I'm not sure why music was so hard for me (although that was a big part of our relationship), but some songs would remind me of him, plus if you listen to the radio, it seems like practically every song is either a love song or a break-up song, and I couldn't handle either of those! But I'm in a much better place and I'm back to being able to listen to music (and if you know me, you know I'm ALWAYS listening to or singing some song). When music is one of the true great loves in your life, like it is mine, this is a big, big deal. So especially watching the CMA's tonight, I'm thankful for beautiful, fun, spunky, joyful, sad, lovey, heartfelt music of all kinds.

And finally, I'm SOOOOOO thankful the holidays are coming up! My folks are coming up next week to celebrate Thanksgiving with us, and I took a couple days off while they're here (HOORAY), which means after next Friday, I'm working only ONE day out of the next nine days (and probably only half a day, at that!). AND, in even better news, I get TWO WEEKS off at Christmas!!!!!!!!! So my optimistic, forward-looking self is SUPER THANKFUL all my vacations requests were approved and I HAVE TWO BREAKS TO LOOK FORWARD TO!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

Hope said...

I'm so glad you will have some time off to spend with your dad and mom when they come up for the holiday! Enjoy yourself, you deserve it!

Mom said...

I'm so thankful for my parents and the opportunity to have seen my father yet again this month when he recognized me and we had time to share our I Love Yous before he slipped away again. We had time to laugh and smile and also have a bit of serious talk. I think I will never again take for granted the people I love, or forget to tell them I love them every time I talk to them.